We’re powering the store of the future
Brick & mortar accounts for 86% of all retail sales, but has been underinvested amidst a wave of innovation in e-commerce. At Clerk, we're bridging this gap by building digital infrastructure for the retail ecosystem that enables more transparent, efficient, and profitable store operations.
Grocery TV is Clerk's core marketing product, and the largest digital out-of-home (DOOH) advertising network in grocery, with an initial focus on point-of-sale advertising displays. The vision for the Grocery TV product is to make it easier for advertisers to reach their audience at every key point along the retail shopping journey.
About the role
Clerk is looking for an experienced database engineer to help design the data architecture underpinning our software platform and network of over 17,000 digital displays in 3,500 stores across the country.
You’ll be a core member of the Data team, reporting to the Head of Data & Operations. This role will also work closely with our Engineering and Product teams to help build new products while optimizing existing functionality. Additionally, you would be expected to help develop and implement overall data strategy and best practices in data governance at Clerk.
Data is your passion and having a clean, well-documented data schema sparks joy. There is a sense of pride when you optimize queries and reduce query times. You can work effectively as a cross-functional collaborator who is comfortable stepping outside the scope of their role to get things done.
You are not looking for a role where everything is figured out for you—you thrive in environments where there is ambiguity and relish the opportunity to solve problems. You understand the importance of balancing business objectives and employee experience. And overall, you understand Clerk's business and have a strong alignment with our values.
- Define and implement best practices in data governance.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Product teams to design new schema and architecture to support new product.
- Recommend solutions to improve new and existing database systems.
- Work closely with Data Analytics to ensure our data infrastructure empowers them to deliver insights.
- Provide guidance to Engineers and Data team members alike through SQL style guides, training sessions, and coaching.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS, Data Science, or equivalent certification
- 4+ years of experience in data-related roles
- A deep understanding of relational databases such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Total mastery of SQL, complex queries, and query optimization techniques
- Familiarity with AWS and RDS or equivalent cloud products
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Big Data products such as ElasticSearch, Cassandra, or Hadoop is a plus
- Familiarity with BI tools like dbt, Looker, or Tableau is a plus
- Strong analytical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Curiosity and driven mentality to take on new challenges and see them through to completion
As a part of our commitment to transparency, we use a market-based formula that provides consistency across roles & experience levels and publish all of our compensation data internally for our team. We’re open to a range of experience levels for this position. Here are the salaries for each level:
- Senior Data Engineer I $160,000
- Senior Data Engineer II $176,000
- Staff Data Engineer $197,000
- One of Austin's Best Companies to Work for in 2022
- A Trusted JobSage Employer
- Strong team values in transparency, ownership, people, and teamwork
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Competitive pay and salary transparency
- Generous time-off programs (including parental leave)
- Flexible work schedule
- Our own (amazing) space in East Austin
- Quarterly offsites and an annual retreat
Ready to start?
Our Senior Recruiter, Christy, would love to meet you and walk you through our interview process. To connect with her, start with our quick application and she will be in touch with you shortly!
Feeling imposter syndrome? Reach out to us!
We're happy to help you better understand the role and what we're looking for.