We’re powering the store of the future
Brick & mortar accounts for 86% of all retail sales, but has been underinvested amidst a wave of innovation in e-commerce. At Clerk, we're bridging this gap by building digital infrastructure for the retail ecosystem that enables more transparent, efficient, and profitable store operations.
Grocery TV is Clerk's core marketing product, and the largest digital out-of-home (DOOH) advertising network in grocery, with an initial focus on point-of-sale advertising displays. The vision for the Grocery TV product is to make it easier for advertisers to reach their audience at every key point along the retail shopping journey.
About the role
Clerk is looking for an experienced Hardware Manager to help guide our Engineering efforts around supporting our flagship product, Grocery TV. As a member of Clerk’s engineering team, you will work closely with engineering leadership, product, operations, and business team to support existing devices in the field and work on the next generation of devices that will support the future of the business.
The Clerk team is primarily based here in Austin, with a handful of remote employees. For this role, we're looking for someone who enjoys the office environment and face-to-face interactions -- we expect you to be in the office at least 2-3 days per week, with greater frequency in the early stages as you're getting to know our team and systems.
About your new team
You'll be a core engineering team member, reporting directly to the VP of Engineering. Our current Engineering team comprises staff from various backgrounds in hardware and software. Our founders built our company and its products - they continue to take an active role in the company's evolution and technical direction. We expect you to help shape and guide the next generation of Clerk's products while continuing to support its existing customer base.
- Work with our design house and manufacturers to ensure high-quality devices.
Our flagship product, GroceryTV, runs as an Android device currently built by a manufacturing group in China. Supporting this relationship and being an essential resource around communication and information is critical to supporting the business and the team.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Product to develop the next generation of devices
Using your expertise, experience, and knowledge of hardware, you will be instrumental in guiding future devices' design, development, manufacturing, and rollout.
- Communicate and collaborate across multiple vendors, suppliers, and technical teams
Bringing multiple groups together to collaborate and keep track of specifications, milestones, deadlines, and deliverables requires a strong ability to communicate, document correctly, and disseminate critical information to stakeholders.
- Bring a strong knowledge of existing hardware chips, boards, and peripherals.
Having a working knowledge of the latest processors, memory units, and peripherals gives you a strong advantage in defining a reliable, robust device that will stand up to the demands of our customers.
- Debug, troubleshoot, and make decisions on mitigating hardware or component failures.
Parts wear out. Bugs happen, and devices break. Failure is a fact of life, but how these issues are addressed separates good companies from great ones. Bringing a robust problem-solving mindset and a hunger to succeed at all costs will push our products to the forefront and give our customers a strong sense of trust in our company.
- A bachelor's degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Computer Engineering, or equivalent certification and/or experience
- Solid knowledge of the device manufacturing process
- Strong familiarity with components such as memory, CPU, WIFI, LED displays, and cameras
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware failures (power fluctuations, chip failures, firmware incompatibilities)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience with running a hardware project is strongly desired
- Strong analytical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities
- Proven experience in dealing with off-shore design and/or manufacturing shops is a strong plus
- The ability to read and speak Mandarin is a strong plus.
- A strong curiosity and driven mentality to take on new challenges and see them through to completion
- Experience with device drivers and firmware is a plus.
As a part of our commitment to transparency, we use a market-based formula that provides consistency across roles & experience levels and publish all of our compensation data internally for our team. The annual salary is $148,000.
- One of Austin's Best Companies to Work for in 2022
- A Trusted JobSage Employer
- Strong team values in transparency, ownership, people, and teamwork
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Competitive pay and salary transparency
- Generous time-off programs (including parental leave)
- Flexible work schedule
- Our own (amazing) space in East Austin
- Quarterly offsites and an annual retreat
Ready to learn more about the Clerk team?
We would love to meet you and walk you through our interview process. To connect with us, start with our quick application and we'll be in touch with you shortly!
Feeling imposter syndrome? Reach out to us!
We're happy to help you better understand the role and what we're looking for.