We’re powering the store of the future
Brick & mortar accounts for 86% of all retail sales, but has been underinvested amidst a wave of innovation in e-commerce. At Clerk, we're bridging this gap by building digital infrastructure for the retail ecosystem that enables more transparent, efficient, and profitable store operations.
Grocery TV is Clerk's core marketing product, and the largest digital out-of-home (DOOH) advertising network in grocery, with an initial focus on point-of-sale advertising displays. The vision for the Grocery TV product is to make it easier for advertisers to reach their audience at every key point along the retail shopping journey.
About the role
Clerk is looking for an experienced Backend Engineer to help design, develop, and maintain its network of IoT devices. As a member of the Engineering team, you will work closely with engineering leadership, Product, Operations, and the business team to support existing devices in the field. You will also have the opportunity to work on the next generation of devices that will support the future of the business.
The Clerk team is primarily based here in Austin, with a handful of remote employees. For this role, we are looking for someone who enjoys the office environment and face-to-face interactions. We expect you to be in the office at least 2-3 days per week, with greater frequency in the early stages as you get to know our team and systems.
About your new team
You'll be a core engineering team member, reporting directly to the VP of Engineering. Our founders built our company and its products - they continue to take an active role in the company's evolution and technical direction. We expect you to help shape and guide the next generation of Clerk's products while continuing to support its existing customer base.
ResponsibilitiesDesign, Develop and Maintain a high-quality platform that supports Grocery TV
- Work on Clerk’s device code, which manages our Android devices and is responsible for ad loop playback, Wi-Fi management, device management, and real-time Computer Vision/Object Detection
- Continue to expand our core codebase to support the ever-growing network of devices (+10K by the end of the year)
- Support infrastructure and architecture with enhancements to our device code, cloud infrastructure, and web applications
- Drive new technologies and frameworks to support both current and future products for the Clerk platform
- Enhance the existing device architecture to scale to meet our growing demand
Debug, Triage, and Troubleshoot problems from existing devices in the field
- Identify, triage, and address software and hardware issues to support our current customers
Brainstorm future ideas and come up with risk mitigations to help shape what future product looks like
Investigate improvements, new technologies, and different form factors
- Stay abreast of the latest technologies to continue to build scalable solutions
- Follow best practices to ensure high quality and low maintenance of devices
- 3+ years of experience working with Java, Python, or other similar languages
- 5+ years of experience working in Software Development
- Some knowledge of device management such as memory management, data storage, camera controls, Wi-Fi connectivity, or Bluetooth communication
- Solid understanding of the software development lifecycle and Agile methodologies
- Curiosity and drive to take on new challenges and see them through to completion
- Experience with Kotlin is a plus
- Experience with Node.js is a plus
- Experience working with Hardware teams, especially device design and manufacturing, is a plus
- You love taking things from idea to scale with a strong eye toward delivery
- You are excited by the prospect and challenge of being given problems to solve
- You understand our business and have a strong alignment with our values
- You are looking for a role with the opportunity for ownership--you thrive in environments with ambiguity and relish open-ended problem-solving
As a part of our commitment to transparency, we use a market-based formula that provides consistency across roles & experience levels and publish all of our compensation data internally for our team. The annual salary for this role is $148,000.
- One of Austin's Best Companies to Work for in 2022
- A Trusted JobSage Employer
- Strong team values in transparency, ownership, people, and teamwork
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Competitive pay and equity + salary transparency
- Generous time-off programs (including parental leave)
- Flexible work schedule
- Our own (amazing) space in East Austin
- Quarterly off-sites and an annual retreat
Ready to learn more about the Clerk team?
We would love to meet you and walk you through our interview process. To connect with us, start with our quick application and we'll be in touch with you shortly!
Feeling imposter syndrome? Reach out to us!
We're happy to help you better understand the role and what we're looking for.